Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland recently provided the government’s fall economic update. It included information on the government’s strategy for dealing with the COVID-19 pandemic and its plan to help shape the recovery. We’ve summarized the highlights for you:
• Corporate Tax Changes, including extensions to subsidy programs.
• Personal Tax Changes, including additional Canada Child Benefit Plan payments and a new “Work from home” tax credit.
• Indirect Tax Changes, including the proposal to charge GST/HST on services provided via digital platforms, as well as the temporary removal of GST/HST on face masks and shields.
For business owners, as of December 4th, the CEBA loan has been expanded by an additional $20,000.
To help our clients, we’ve put together a comprehensive article filled with great tips on how to get ready for 2020 tax season. Here’s a summary of our personal tax tips article:
• Details about the different COVID-19 benefits programs and the tax ramifications of them
• Information about family tax issues including the Canada Child Benefits and tips on how to split income.
• Managing investments. Details about contributing to various savings plans such as a TFSA, RESP, or RDSP. Also tips on how and when to donate to charity and how to time the purchase or sale of investments.
• Retirement planning. How to make the most of your RRSP, things to know if you’ve turned 71, and tips on RRIF conversion.